Thursday, May 07, 2009

Happier Thoughts

"Happier thoughts lead to essentially a happier biochemistry
and a happier, healthier body.
Negative thoughts and stress have been shown
to seriously degrade the body and the functioning of the brain,
because it's our thoughts and emotions that are continuously
reassembling, reoganising, re-creating our body."
Dr. John Hagelin (a teacher featured in "The Secret")


This was written by someone (I don't recognise the handwriting) on the whiteboard in our break-room this week.

It's a very thought provoking quote, actually. It begs several questions:

Happier thoughts? Happier than what? Where do these happier thoughts come from? How do I get them? Especially when I am going through hell. My life is falling to pieces around me and there is no hope that it will get better anytime soon, if ever. I want happier thoughts. I want health and peace. Where do I go to get it? Do I fake it? I smile hard enough so I won't cry. I create the illusion of peace and happiness to the outside observer, willing it to seep through to the chaos beneath. That only creates more stress in my life!

I know the answer, of course. This Joy (happinessthat lasts and is independant of my situation) and Peace I am looking for is only found in one Person: Jesus Christ.

The Psalms are full of this truth about God. A few of my favorite examples are:

Psalm 16:8-11
I have set the LORD always before me.
Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,
because you will not abandon me to the grave,
nor will you let your Holy One see decay.
You have made known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Psalm 46:1-3
God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
Selah

The New Testament also. Manytimes God is refered to as the God of Peace. Paul sandwiches his letters with Grace and Peace from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord. In Philippians he tells us that God's peace transcends all understanding and guards our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Peace that is beyond your comprehension. Peace that is a safeguard against fear and worry. Peace even when the "mountains" in your life are crumbling and falling. Peace and Joy.

I have it. Do you?

No comments: