Wednesday, May 20, 2009

in which war is waged

Gosh it's been a busy week! Lets see if I can remember it all...

Most of this week has been spent at work. Blegh! Normally I love going to work, but since the weather has warmed up I have gotten really very sick with garden fever. I pine all day at work looking out the window at the sunshine and thinking of all the things I could be doing. Wondering if my little baby pea plants are needing water or if the cursed slugs have been continuing their feast of cabbage and broccoli.
I work a really lousy shift for gardening. 10 hours, either 10:30-9:00 or 9:30-8:00. This is killing me because it is too dark to do anything when I get home and, no matter how good my intentions are I am just not an early bird. I putter around with my best friend Joe for quite awhile in the mornings before I am actually awake enough to be useful and by then it is time to shower and get ready for work.
But I did have a couple of days off to be productive in. Friday was the last frost date, so Saturday my bush beans went in the ground. The peas, onions, and carrots are showing their little green faces and the lettuce I started in peat pots went into their wheelbarrow. This is a new strategy for this year. The thought process behind it is that I will be able to keep the lettuces out of the direct sun during the heat of the day, thus staying a little sweeter. It may be silly, but they look so cute in their little red home! And it frees up space in the main garden for extra rows of other things.
The other Very Important Thing I got done this week was declaring war on the hornets and wasps. I swear there are more of them at my house than any where else! And where do they like to hang out? On my deck. They buzz around and crawl over everything until you are afraid to even go out the back door. Well I have finally had enough! I refuse to concede territory to the little devils. I want to be able to enjoy my back yard thank you very much. So on Monday morning, while it was still cold and drippying from the thunderstorm on Sunday night, I launched an all out chemical attack. I took out 7 nests, 2 on the Southeast corner of the house, 2 in the grill (knew to look there because I found one there last year when I went to use it for the first time), and the great big one in the bathroom window frame - the one they watch me from every time I go out to water the garden. I also sprayed a bunch of the knot-holes and cracks in the siding where I've seen them crawling in and out. I haven't been home to see if this has been a successful battle, but I can't imagine it didn't help a bit. I need to have Henry crawl under the porch and look for nests there as well, but not until there's another cool morning.
I am really looking forward to next week when I have 12 days off to get all my spring cleaning and yardwork done.

No comments: