Thursday, August 06, 2009

Romans 3 (part 1)

I was reading Romans 3 on my lunch break today (trying to prepare a talk for LPC on Sunday) and I had one of those "I need to write this right NOW or I'll forget it" moments so I grabbed a napkin and started writing...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Our sinfulness makes God look even more righteous. We prove Him right when we do wrong. So then why is He still angry at us??? We're making Him look good, right? He shouldn't be punishing us for making Him look good!
Nope. Sorry. He still has to be just.
This is the one argument you run up against all the time when you are talking about judgement with people. They'll tell you they "can't believe in a God who would damn someone to Hell" and "God is loving and forgiving. How can he send people to Hell?". The thing they don't understand (or choose to ignore) is that God is also just. He has to be just. If He bent or broke His rules He wouldn't be just anymore, and "he cannot disown himself" (2Tim 2:13).
And here is the beautiful mystery of the gospel. Here is what happens when God's justice and His love collide and combine in Christ's sacrifice on the cross. Here He can be perfectly just and punish all sin and yet He can love and forgive all sinners!
It is magnificent!
It is glorious!
It is so far beyond our human comprehension that it looks like foolishness!!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

So this is what I'm digging in right now and I am loving it.
There'll prolly be more coming in the next few days.
These are just rough notes and thoughts.
Hopefully I'll get a cohesive summary up here when I'm done.
If I have time. :P

No comments: